Terry Nana (Cameroon): “Wittenborg is an international family with various nationalities. Learning and blending with other cultures are beneficial for global business, which is one of my reasons to be a member of Wittenborg. Being the President of Student Union academic year 2019-2020 boosts my communication, leadership and decision-making skills. Additionally, Wittenborg's block system gives me the zeal to study, since I must do exams every other 6 weeks.”
Event management is a growing and dynamic profession that allows you to mastermind everything from a small business conference to a major music festival. A degree in Business Administration specialised in Event Management will introduce you to this exciting industry.
At Wittenborg all Bachelor of Hospitality Business Administration students complete a series of broad business modules to complement their chosen specialization. Those who follow the Event Management pathway are schooled in the academic study of event management and the practical development of management skills.
Although event studies is a relatively young academic subject, the HBA-programme in Event Management at Wittenborg is informed by ongoing research to ensure that the content of the course reflects contemporary issues and debates in the events industry. This include questions such as how technology continues to impact the industry. Teaching is underpinned by our academic team’s expertise and first-hand experience of the sector.
With a combination of theoretical and practical modules, the IBA in Event Management will equip you with the knowledge and skills needed to professionally manage events in a variety of sectors.
The syllabus is informed by the idea that event managers have a range of creative and technical responsibilities that often shift with every project and the fact they are in charge of research, planning as well as overseeing execution, often in minute detail.
The IBA in Event Management will take either three or four years to complete, depending on your academic progress and drive. The compulsory work placement module offers you a great opportunity to gain first-hand experience in the field which will improve your employment prospects following graduation.
Core modules include:
- Event Operations and Project Planning
- Event Marketing and Communication
- Market Research in International Events
- Media Technology (Events Management)
- Corporate Entrepreneurship
- Final Project
Event management is a multimillion euro industry and, in the case of large organizations, often forms part of a company’s marketing strategy. It is foreseen that the increased nature of global business will make the demand for events even higher. Though technology shrank the world, face-to-face meetings as a way of networking are still highly valued.
Events can be roughly categorized in the following way:
- Leisure: This includes big sport events like the FIFA World Cup, festivals like the Glastonbury music festival in the UK or fashion shows.
- Personal: Planning personal events like weddings and anniversaries in a highly organized way and not just ad hoc have become common place.
- Organizational: This includes small business events like a breakfast meeting to huge conferences attended by thousands of delegates. Also falling under this category would be fundraisers, NGO and public sector events.
- Cultural: This would include celebrations around heritage like France’s Bastille Festival, which is celebrated all over the world as well as traditional ceremonies.
To survive in the event industry you need good public relations skills to manage your clients and their needs, creativity to come up with novel ideas as well as patience and the ability to keep an eye on the smallest details without losing sight of your bigger goals. Lastly the industry thrives on the shoulders of personal networking and you must have the ability to recognize, utilize it and expand to your advantage.
There are a number of opportunities for graduates looking to build a career in event management. In addition to a salary, some companies will even award their employees with commissions for a job well done.
- Charity organizations – Working for charity organizations, who arrange plenty of funding and other events to promote their work, is considered a good learning ground for those wishing to enter the events industry.
- Conference organizers – Conferences has become a lucrative part of the event management industry, not only for the private sector with its different service providers but also for the public sector as cities vie to host big, international conferences. In both sectors opportunities resides for young, eager graduates wishing to learn the tricks of the trade.
- Marketing and Event Manager
- Exhibition Coordinator
- Facility and Venue Manager
- Event Administrator
- Conference manager
- Banqueting Manager
- Producer in an event organization
- Wedding planner
- Public relations manager
Do keep in mind, the event industry does not only consist of event managers and their assistants. There are also plenty or supporting personnel which on the surface look like their roles have nothing to do with the event industry yet they play a crucial role such as IT experts, product developers and financial managers.
Entry Requirements - Bachelor Programmes
High School Diploma or final certificate, equivalent to the Netherlands VWO, HAVO or MBO level 4 diploma / UK AS & A Level or BTEC. Please contact the Admissions Office to receive High School diploma comparisons. Please note: Advanced Placement / Credit Transfer Possible.
Direct Entry to Final Year Bachelor Programme (Top-Up)
Students with successful study experience equivalent to 160 European Credits in a related business or economic field are able to enter directly into the Final Year Programme (80 credits - please see 'Top-Up Degree' descriptions). Wittenborg's Graduation and Examination Board will decide on entry based on credit transcripts and qualifications presented.
English Language Requirements
IELTS 6 or TOEFL Equivalent. Click here for an overview of the equivalent scores.
TOEFL Code of Wittenborg is 4889.
Not got the English language level requirements? Inform about our Foundation Programme here.
Apply / Information Request
Click the link above to go to the Information Request Form to get more information about programmes and admission at Wittenborg University. Or send anEmail to Ms Florian Oosterberg at email@example.com
To gain quick contact with our admissions team, why not pick up the phone and call our office number (+31) (0)88 667 266 or our mobile phone number +31 (0)628364624, and speak to Ms Florian Oosterberg, our Senior Admissions Officer or Mr Santosh Aryal, our Student Registrar. If you would like us to call you back, we will!
If you would like to start your application online, just fill in the form at the link above. You can download application documents and upload scanned copies into the form. Alternatively you can send all your application documents by Email to Ms Florian Oosterberg at firstname.lastname@example.org