You are hereHome › British Council Report: UK Universities facing a sharp decline in international student growth rate.
British Council Report: UK Universities facing a sharp decline in international student growth rate.
Slower growth in international student mobility will change the international education landscape, according to the British Council in a report "The Shape of Things to Come" presented on the 13th June, at an event in London.
The report warns UK Universities to rethink their policies and international student growth strategies. UK Universities must look ahead at a new phase in which attracting international students to the UK remains important, but joint education and research with institutions abroad will play a much more decisive role.
The report stresses that although overall mobility grew rapidly from 800 thousand students in the 70's to over 3.5 million in 2009, the world economic crisis and fast developing education availability in countries such as China, India and Brazil is affecting the number of students traveling out to countries such as the UK. According to the British council, the days of students coming en-masse to the UK from developing, and developed countries are long gone, and this mobility has been replaced by a need for UK institutions to reach out to partners to offer joint degree and research programmes abroad. Switzerland and The Netherlands are mentioned as currently more active in collaborative teaching and research (with the UK institutions), however the report sees important players such as China and the US being the key to new development in the changing international student movement.
From this September Wittenborg University will start offering Postgraduate programmes (Master) jointly with the University of Brighton. The programmes, in International Tourism Management and International Event & Project Management will be taught entirely in English by a collaborating team of professors / lecturers from the University of Brighton and from Wittenborg University. There are plans to expand the number of MSc programmes and also to offer Undergraduate programmes In the future. Wittenborg with its diverse student population (currently over 40 nationalities) and a strong representation of good English speaking Dutch students offers the University of Brighton to both attract international and home (Netherlands) students to its programmes in Apeldoorn, as well as stimulating teacher mobility from both sides.
In its conclusion the British Council's report concludes that the coming ten years will see a drastic change in the world of international higher education, which will become increasingly more competitive, but will also bring important opportunities for institutions to forge real working collaborations around the world.
According to the report; “just as the world economy is shifting east and south, the evidence suggests, with a lag relative to the shift in economic power, the global tertiary education sector is now starting to move east, but at this stage less so south,”, a view that supports Wittenborg's current education collaboration development pathway agreed upon during last week's visit by a high ranking delegation from Wittenborg University's partner, the Shanghai Business School.
©Wittenborg University Press
(English) University World News, http://www.universityworldnews.com/article.php?story=20120613202524839
(Dutch) The Nuffic’s Transfer Magazine, http://www.transfermagazine.nl/nieuws/Achtergrond/british-council-2018minder-groei-studentenmobiliteit2019
(English) The Report, “The shape of things to come: higher education global trends and emerging opportunities to 2020”, http://ihe.britishcouncil.org/educationintelligence/shape-of-things-to-come
- The University
- Our Programmes
- Community & Business
- Apply | Info
News & Views
- Open Seminars & Network Event: Wittenborg 25!
- Inauguration of the new Dutch King, Willem-Alexander
- Increase Mobility, but new Visa Regulations
- European Union wants to make study in Europe more attractive to International Students!
- International Student Front Desk to the Rescue!
- Students cooperate to create a Student Community in Apeldoorn
- Germany important once more for Dutch Higher Education!
- WUP 27/3/2013 Wittenborg University meets Cooperative Education IBA students of ANGELL Akademie in Freiburg
- Wittenborg University at the Dutch Days in Shanghai
- Behind the scenes at Wittenborg University with student Chinh Ha
- New Dutch Immigration Act (Law) to come in from June 1st 2013 - The Modern Migration Policy Act
- Wittenborg University through the eyes of Alumni – Mary Jane Omatsone
- Wittenborg students embark on Social Media Project.
- Education Update - Universities in the Netherlands to raise tuition fees for their "top programme"!
- New Wittenborg Film on YouTube
- International Students enjoying Apeldoorn!
- Happy Christmas 2012
- New Bachelor EBA Accredited!
- Wittenborg University Directors meet up with Wittenborg Alumni in Shanghai, China
- Wittenborg University Directors meet up with Wittenborg Alumni in Shanghai, China
- An Entrepreneurial Project Week
- Dutch cabinet wants to “entice” foreign students to stay!
- Exams at Wittenborg!
- The Entrepreneurial Spirit of Wittenborg Student Ayoub Sadik
- Make it in the Netherlands
- The February Start - Bachelor, Pre-Master & English Prep all start in February!
- Wittenborg's Brazilian Student from the ‘Science Without Borders’ programme!
- a 1/2 year study exchange at Shanghai Finance University for Wittenborg's IBA students
- Double Degree Programme with the IBA at ANGELL Academie in Freiburg
- International Business Administration in ICT
- EuroBA - a 3 Year BA Hons degree in International Hospitality Management
- National Student Survey (NSE / NSS) 2013
- New Hotel School Programme in Apeldoorn! - Alderman Johan Kruithof launches the EuroBA!
- Project Week starts with a workshop on the use of Social Media In business
- Winter 2012-2013 - Wittenborg University Graduates Celebrate
- 3 Bachelor IBA starts still to come in 2012-2013 – English Preparation classes also popular.
- Entry into the Master in Event Management
- Wittenborg University sign a Memorandum of Understanding with ANGELL Akademie Freiburg.
- Angell Business School and Wittenborg University discuss their developing partnership.
- Debbie Kuang's Stone placed yesterday (12 March 2013)
- Lyniks Systems launches new web portal
- “Wittenborg University” - now official name – Dutch name “Hogeschool” is officially dropped from today.
- Insight into Work placement – Nicky van Riggelen
- Papillon Hotels visits Wittenborg University for their internship recruitment
- Wittenborg students work with Apeldoorn’s theatre Orpheus with an aim to help developing new business and a new direction!
- Behind the Scenes with IBA Student Rafael Pokorny
- Study in the Netherlands made easier and cheaper by new Dutch Visa Regulations!
- 7th June 2013 - Open Day for the Hospitality, Tourism and Event Management Master programmes
- Ireland can’t cope with international competition in the higher education sector.
- The Master - an MBA in International Hospitality Management!
- Wittenborg University students enjoying the Dutch Snow!
- Daniel O'Connell on Letterboxes and PDP
- Wittenborg University through the eyes of Alumni –Bas Heuver
- Most international students in the UK not expecting to stay, the Netherlands looking for more knowledge migrants!
- The European Academy of Hospitality Management takes a further step in its development
- Dual Vocational Education in China offering the win-win solution
- Master in International Hospitality Management
- Block 3 start at Wittenborg, St Nicholas and Christmas
- Dutch Parliament gets itself into a nonsensical debate about the academic title "Bachelor"
- 4 Wittenborg University Graduates Celebrate with friends and family (October 2012)
- Bachelor of Business in Economics and Management still the most popular IBA programme at Wittenborg University.
- Chinese to implement 5 year visas for foreigners to stimulate knowledge migrants
- International Students see an Intercultural Environment as a Safe Place to Study
- Shanghai Finance University to send ICT students for 1/2 year study and internship exchange.
- The numbers of Non-EU students in the UK drop for the first time in 16 years
- What a Gala Party! Celebrating 25 Years of Wittenborg
- Wittenborg University 25 Jubilee Seminars
- Wittenborg University 25 Year Jubilee Launched with Balloons and Seminars
- September 2012
- August 2012
- July 2012