- Demonstrate a working knowledge of the concepts and methods of marketing research.
- To familiarise the student with the commonly used techniques in the collection and analysis of marketing research information.
- To enable the student to gain perspective and to acquire experience in applying these techniques and report findings through a research project
- Show an understanding of questionnaire design and sampling theory.
- Demonstrate competency with the SPSS statistical software package and the ability to use SPSS to enter marketing data, conduct various types of statistical analyses and interpret their outputs.
- Exhibit an understanding of qualitative and quantitative research methods and their application to marketing research.
- To develop an understanding of decision making in marketing, its inherent difficulties and pitfalls and the importance of information in marketing research
The Nature of Marketing Research
- The Marketing Research Process
- The Industry – Structure, Evaluation and Ethics
- Defining the Problem, Determining Research Objectives
- Research Designs
- Secondary Data
- Standardised Information Services
- Observation, Focus Groups and Other Qualitative Methods
- Survey (Quantitative) Data Collection Methods
- Measurement in Marketing Research
- Basic Data Analysis: Descriptive Statistics
- Determining the Sample Plan
- Determining the Size of a Sample
- Designing the Questionnaire
- Data Collection Issues
- The Marketing Research Report
24 Lesson hours
8 Preparatory Lesson Hours
10 Assignments / Homework hours
20 Exam and exam preparation hours
50 Literature (Depending on the length and difficulty of the book) hours
The course uses 350 pages from the book(s) and journal articles where:
- 350 pages easy reading and understanding material – 50 hours
- Difficult reading and understanding material – 3 pages per hour
- Average reading and understanding material – 5 pages per hour
- Easy reading and understanding material – 7 pages per hour
Total 112 Hours
- Classroom lecturing
- Case study discussions
- Feedback and presentation sessions
- Video and film
- Discussion sessions
- Research Papers
Marketing Research with SPSS 13.0. Alvin C. Burns and Ronald F. Bush., Prentice Hall, ISBN-10: 0132280353, ISBN-13: 9780132280358
Principles of Marketing, European Edition, 4/e Philip Kotler, Gary Armstrong, John Saunders, Veronica Wong, Financial Times/ Prentice Hall; 2008, ISBN-10: 0136132375, ISBN-13: 978-0136132370
Marketing Research: An Applied Orientation, Naresh Malhotra, Prentice Hall 2010, ISBN-10: 0136085431, ISBN-13: 9780136085430
Articles and Journals related to the module are to be published on the Module Online Area.