- Understand how the communication process can be managed to help recognize and overcome barriers
- Recognize the role of feedback in building a productive working climate and increasing employee performance.
- Identify the differences between criticism and coaching feedback
- Select appropriate channels for your communications
- Avoid defensiveness, negativism, and improve work relationships by applying principles of effective coaching and supportive communication
- Critically analyze the effectiveness of communication in selected organizations, including their own place of employment
- Demonstrate familiarity with selected current issues in their chosen field, particularly as they relate to managerial communication in an organization
Chapter 1: Understanding Communication Propositions
Chapter 2: Examining Communication Approaches
The Arrow Approach
The Circuit Approach
Communication as Dance
Chapter 3: Scrutinizing Ethical Issues
A Strategic Approach to Corporate Ethics
Chapter 4: Imparting the Organizational Culture
What is Culture?
Does Culture Matter?
How Can We Discover the Culture?
How Can We Evaluate the Culture?
How Can Leaders Effectively Impart the Culture?
Chapter 5: Selecting and Using Communication Technologies
A Model for Selecting Appropriate Communication Technologies
What to Do?
Chapter 6: Managing Data, Information, Knowledge and Action
The D-I-K-A Model
Variations of the Model
Managing the Data-Information Relationship
Managing the Information-Knowledge Relationship
Managing the Knowledge-Action Relationship
Chapter 7: Providing Performance Feedback
Performance Feedback Principles
Implementing a Successful Feedback System
Communicating Performance Feedback
Chapter 8: Communicating Across Organizational Boundaries
The Nature of Boundaries
Potential Problems of Boundaries
What to Do?
Chapter 9: Communicating About Change
Approaches to Change
Selecting the Degree of Communication
Reactions to Change
The Iceberg Model
Chapter 10: Cultivating the Innovative Spirit
What is Innovation?
A Perspective on Success and Failure
Stop and Go Signs
Chapter 11: Building a World Class Communication System
Assess-Strategize-Implement in Action
24 Lesson hours
- Preparation Lesson hours
20 Assignments / Homework hours
10 Exam and exam preparation hours
10 Literature ( Depending on the length and difficulty of the book ) hours
- Difficult reading and understanding material – 3 pages per hour
- Average reading and understanding material – 5 pages per hour
- Easy reading and understanding material – 7 pages per hour
Total 56 Hours
- Classroom lecturing
- Case study discussions
- Feedback and presentation sessions
- Video and film
- Discussion sessions
- Research Papers
- Communicating for Managerial Effectiveness, Phillip G Clampitt, Sage 2009, ISBN-10: 1412970881, ISBN-13: 9781412970884
- Excellence in Business Communication, John V. Thill, Courtland L. Bovee, Prentice Hall; 2010, ISBN-10: 0136103766, ISBN-13: 978-0136103769