- Identify and discuss possible objectives and the role of the finance function for a business.
- Understand and produce complex financial information within a company
- Explain the agency problem faced by owners of a business and discuss how this problem may be either prevented or minimised.
- Understand the link between financial reports and financial predictions within an organization
- Able to analyse, present and use financial data in decision making and influencing situations
- Evaluate different capital structure options available to a business.
- Identify the likely winners and losers from takeover activity.
- Outline the tactics that may be used to defend against a hostile bid.
Introduction to financial management
Making capital investment decisions
The cost of capital and the capital structure decision
Developing a Dividend policy
Measuring and Managing Shareholder value
Mergers, takeovers and the valuation of shares
Fundamentals of risk management
Additional topics in risk management
24 Lesson hours
8 Preparation Lesson hours
20 Assignments / Homework hours
20 Exam and exam preparation hours
68 Self Study / Literature ( Depending on the length and difficulty of the book ) hours
The course uses 746 pages from the book(s) and journal articles where
- 476 pages easy reading and understanding material – 46 hours
- Difficult reading and understanding material – 3 pages per hour
- Average reading and understanding material – 5 pages per hour
- Easy reading and understanding material – 7 pages per hour
Total 140 Hours
- Classroom lecturing
- Case study discussions
- Feedback and presentation sessions
- Interviews and debates
- Video and film
- Discussion sessions
- Research Papers
- Coaching and tutoring
- Financial Management for decision makers. 4th edition Atrill. Prentice Hall. ISBN 0-273-70249-1
- Principles of risk management and insurance, George E. Redja, Pearson Higher Education ISBN-10: 0273765086, ISBN-13: 9780273765080
- Money, Banking & Financial Markets. Ritter/Silber/Udell. Addison Wesley. ISBN 0-321-22336-5